Sunday, March 17, 2013

¡El Papa es Argentino! ¡El Papa es Argentino!



Undoubtedly you have all heard the news about the new Pope, Francisco I, who was previously a Cardinal and the Archbishop of Buenos Aires.  Being in Argentina during this historic appointment has been a memorable experience.  Previously I paid very little attention to the Pope, but now I belong to a Catholic community (El Arca)  which places great importance on the Pope. 

On the day of his appointment (March 13th), I happened to arrive at the El Arca home mere minutes before the announcement.  Maxi ran to the door to let me in and he and Rosi yelled “come Lisa, come Lisa!  They’re going to elect the new Pope!”  I found the two of them plus Osvaldo (whose nap had been interrupted for the occasion and was therefore a bit disheveled) sitting in front of the TV, watching the live coverage of the last few hours of the Vatican conclave.  When they announced the new Pope, Rosi was incredulous.  She kept saying “no, no” over and over again, and when the news had sunk in, she was ecstatic!  Maxi and Osvaldo got excited too, and I tried my best to share in their joy in spite of my lack of investment in the matter.  



Speculators on the papal conclave never predicted that Bergoglio would be appointed, and much less Argentines themselves!  Bergoglio marks a lot of firsts for the Vatican.  He’s the first Pope from Latin America, the first Pope to come from the Jesuit Order and the first Pope to be named Francis (or Francisco in Spanish).  Only Bergoglio knows why he chose the name Francis, but journalists have speculated that he chose it for St. Francis of Assisi or for a different St. Francis, the one who started the Jesuit order.  If so, Francis seems to be a fitting name for Bergoglio by virtue of his consistent solidarity with the poor throughout his career.  Bergoglio spent a lot of time visiting villas (slums), especially the notorious Villa 31, located in the retiro neighborhood in the federal capital, right next door to the train and omnibus stations.  Bergoglio is also known for a lifestyle that challenges traditional notions of church hierarchy.  As a cardinal, he dressed merely as a priest, and he lived in an apartment instead of a palace.  He also always got around using public transportation.  I wonder whether he’ll insist on continuing this habit now that he’s the Pope!  

Padre Pepe, who gives mass at the El Arca chapel about once a month and was the person responsible for introducing Osvaldo to El Arca, received phone calls from journalists last week asking for information about Bergoglio, who was until recently Pepe’s superior.  Even Pastor Angel, the pastor of El Santo Sacramento, was approached by newspapers via email, asking him if he had been friends with Bergoglio.  I suddenly find myself in the unexpected situation of knowing several people who know the Pope personally!  

While the El Arca community rejoices, I’m not exactly sure how to feel. I feel happy and excited for their sake, but because I am not Roman Catholic, the news can never have as much meaning for me as it does for them.  I have also recently learned of a controversial aspect of Bergoglio that detracts from the saintly image the rest of his history paints.  Bergoglio has been accused of not doing enough to save persecuted priests during the fascist dictatorship in Argentina (1976-1983) and for taking a generally passive stance toward the human rights abuses of said dictatorship.  It is difficult to know what to believe, however, when the facts are so hazy.  Whether he really “deserves” the appointment or not (and who am I to decide that?), and although I do not personally believe that the Pope is the ultimate Christian authority, Francisco I will undeniably have a huge influence on the world.  For that reason, even as a Protestant, I have no qualms with praying for him as he requested in his first papal address



No comments:

Post a Comment