Monday, March 18, 2013

Lessons in Limosna and Confidence with Maxi



A few weeks ago, on Thursday, February 28th, El Arca held its monthly “encuentro de espiritualidad” (spirituality gathering) in the home, with a focus on the significance of Lent.  We discussed three important liturgical themes during the season of lent: oracion (prayer), penitencia (repentance) and limosna (charity), but we certainly made these serious themes fun!  By Osvaldo’s request, we opened the “encuentro” with an icebreaker to his all-time favorite song, “Bienvenido Amor” by Argentine singer Palito Ortegas (he listens to Palito Ortegas almost every day).  We played a musical-chairs-esque game in which we danced in pairs for a while until the music stopped, and we had to ask each other a question (e.g. what did you do this summer?), and then when the music started again, we switched partners and started over again.  

Later on, we discussed the central themes of lent in small groups, with one group for each theme.  I was in the charity group.  We talked about how charity is much more than just giving alms in church on Sunday; it’s really anything you can offer of yourself to benefit others or to demonstrate love for God.  We created a brief skit to illustrate this concept to the rest of the group.  

Today, a few weeks later, I witnessed a beautiful example of limosna in Maxi.  We were walking to the bus stop on the way to our weekly basketball game, and we passed an elderly man who was struggling to step down from the curb in order to cross the street.  I barely noticed him, my mind having wandered elsewhere as it tends to do.  But Maxi certainly noticed him.  Maxi was so drawn to this elderly man that he offered to help him down from the curb.  The man eagerly accepted his offer and thanked him with a big, somewhat astounded smile.  We said goodbye and continued on our way, and I was overwhelmed with pride of Maxi. I congratulated him for being so considerate and pointed out that it was a perfect example of the acts of limosna we had discussed in the “encuentro.” Maxi was really proud of himself too.  It was a feel-good moment.  
 
But this wasn’t the first time that Maxi’s compassionate, giving nature had been illuminated to me.  He has a remarkable way of interacting with people, always greeting people even if he doesn’t know them that well, and asking not only how they are but also how their brother, boyfriend, girlfriend, mother etc. are doing!  Maxi inspires me to herd my thoughts back to the here and now so I too can be attentive to the needs and feelings of others.  
 
I felt proud of Maxi for another reason today.  When we got to the basketball court, unfortunately the regular crew of boys weren’t there to play with us, so we spent the whole time practicing shots.  In the past Maxi has gotten discouraged and bored really quickly when we do this because he struggles to make shots and would rather be playing a game with the neighborhood boys.  But today Maxi accepted the absence of the boys quite maturely and patiently, determinedly practiced shots with me.  His practice must be paying off, because he made about 60% of the shots!  This was a huge increase from past weeks, and much more impressive than my own percentage of successes!

I firmly believe that if Maxi can work up enough self-confidence, he is capable of so many things.  If he convinces himself that he can’t do something, he will just get frustrated and give up, but today he was on a roll!  I’ve seen this with reading and writing, too.  Maxi understands Spanish phonetics really well, but he lacks fluidity in processing phonemes and stringing them into words.  Recently, he has started working with Micaela, a new volunteer who is studying occupational therapy, on reading and writing, and he is really enjoying their sessions!  Now when he asks me what something says, I think twice before telling him and challenge him to figure it out himself.  

I could really learn from my own advice to Maxi.  He reminds me of the importance of self-confidence, something that I too struggle with.  But if Maxi has confidence, I can muster up confidence too!

No comments:

Post a Comment